Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 30, 2011

The New Olive Garden!

Good Morning!  Is everyone getting excited for the 4th of July weekend??  I suppose if I didn't have to work on the 4th, I might  be looking forward to it, but alas, I will be at work bright and early.  That's okay :)  I really have no feeling about it one way or another.  Wayne has to work, and at 14, Adam is getting harder and harder to talk into doing things with Mom.  However, the weather is going to be spectacular, and HOT!  Awesome!

So last night the family went to the Olive Garden for dinner.  We went to support my Sissy (Laura), who just started working there.  She is waitress extraordinaire!  I'm telling you, Olive Garden is big doings in Carson City!  The place was packed!  Adam asked.."What's the big deal?  It's just Olive Garden"!  Well son, in Carson City, we don't have much excitement, so when we get something new, it's major news!  Ah, small town life!  Gotta love it!  You should have been here when In and Out Burger opened!  Anyway, it was a nice night out, and even though we requested Laura's section, and were promised that, we were seated in the lovely Amy's section.  Oh well...gives us an excuse to go back.  I was excited to find that even though it was "Olive Garden", I was able to stay within my calorie count, thus sticking to my RVL plan!  I had the apricot grilled chicken with veggies, and a bowl of Minestrone soup...500 cals!  Okay, I had a bite of a breadstick...let's be generous and say I had 600 cals!  Awesome that they have low fat and gluten free choices!

You know what helps me when going out to dinner?  Most restaurants have websites where they list the nutritional facts.  If you plot it out before you go, and not AssUMe that you will be able to make a choice on the fly, you will do much better!  Some of the items you THINK would be good choices, are actually a big ole bust!  Like a lot of the salads!  Shocking!!  Beware!!!   You think..."oh, I was so good, I had a salad for dinner"...when in fact you would have been better off with the burger!  LOL  Just make good choices, and have fun :)

Because of our culture, we have made food such a social experience.  For me, this is the hardest part of losing weight.  Every occasion, every gathering is built around food!  My Mother's (and Grandmother before her) first question when planning a family gathering is..."what are we going to eat?"  This is such a hard habit to break!  When you finally realize that you can enjoy company/family without it revolving around a meal, life is good!  Or when you realize that you don't have to join in on the food frenzy that is present to enjoy your time with folks.  I think I've finally gotten to the point where I don't feel left out and deprived.

Well, off to get the morning started!  Everyone have a good day!!!

Blessings to you all!

Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment